SBS tagged me to write a letter to my thirteen year old self. Hmm, what a self conscious mess she was. Here goes:
I wanted to let you know a few things I wish I had known when I was thirteen. I don't suppose you will listen to me because I'm you and I know what you are like.
1. One day you will go out with the older brother of your best friend for whom you have been nursing a passion for months. Eventually you will find him boring and dump him. Incredible eh?
2. There really is no need to shave the fair downy hair on your legs.
3. Your legs, downy or otherwise, are lovely. So is all of you.
4. Your six year old sister, currently either invisible to you or a pain, will become your best friend and lifelong support.
5. One day you will stop blushing (most of the time).
6. Even if you do blush, one day you will be able to speak in front of five hundred people.
7. It really would be a good idea to put aside your fear of looking stupid and learn to skate and ski. If you don't do it now, it's not going to happen.
8. One day you will realise you love your step dad.
9. Do not be afraid, and if you can't help it, act anyway. Courage, the greatest of the virtues, without which the others cannot be practised.
10. Much of life is complicated, messy and hard. It is therefore vital to notice when you are having a good time and to live the good bits with unbridled enthusiasm.
11. Quite a lot of stuff doesn't matter. Smile, treat others as you want them to treat you. Never hold a grudge.
12. If in doubt, go for a walk and have a bit of chocolate.
13. Have a great time.
Well go on, get on with it.
And now I would like to tag:
if you have the time or the inclination.