Tulip fever

I am feeling excited, very excited.  I love tulips and have grown them in pots and in the ground here every year since we came over nine years ago.  On a cold grey February morning I was having a cup of tea with a friend and we got to talking about the bulb fields in the Netherlands and the gardens at Keukenhof.  My friend used to live in Leiden, right on the doorstep of all of this.  I confessed I had always wanted to go.  "Well we should, of course we should.  We should go this spring.  Let's look at flights.." and in half an hour we were booked with flights and accommodation.  Ian was happy to hold the fort here and with my dad.  For weeks it felt a bit pretend.  But it is here, now, today.  This afternoon we fly to Amsterdam.


Will it really look like this?


Or this?


Or this?

These images are all from holland.com but I will come back with some of my own.

This is exactly the sort of visiting I love.  My friend knows Leiden well and still has friends there.  We have rented an apartment and might well rent bikes.  I shall piggyback on her local knowledge and that will be marvellous.  I love a good hotel but I also love the way that a connection with place allows you to taste, just for a few days, what it might be like to live somewhere else.

Off to pack my bag.  Can't wait!

Comments

  1. Oh, I'm jealous, but I'll look forward to hearing all about your travels. It's been glorious to see tulips again after so long (you never saw them anywhere in Korea except the odd pot or municipal planting.) I've been taking photos of all the gardens (neighbors probably think I'm crazy.) I hope you have a wonderful time with your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a good time, it seems to be a good year for tulips here so I hope you see lots there

    ReplyDelete
  3. How thrilling!
    A book you might enjoy is Deborah Moggach's Tulip Fever.
    I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you have a wonderful time in my homeland (though it feels like another lifetime now). The Keukenhof is a great place and I wish you great weather to enjoy it all. You may be on the way already as I write this ….

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous - have a great time! I've always wanted to go, so I hope you can give me some tips when you get back :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard it's absolutely sensational. I hope you have a wonderful time, I shall look forward to seeing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic! Have a great time, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh have fun Elizabeth! Look forward to hearing more about your trip and all those tulips on your return.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, have a wonderful time! We were there four years ago and had such a beautiful afternoon cycling around the tulip fields after walking the more formal gardens. Spectacular! Can't wait to see the photos

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful. We are treated to wonderful tulip fields in Washington State, too. I'm always in such awe to see the fields filled with different colored rows of tulips. Such a good choice to book and go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful - much jealousy here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, how fabulous! I hope you have a great time, and looking forward to seeing your photos when you return!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoy your mini holiday Elizabeth-you deserve some 'me' time
    We went seven years ago and it is definitely an amazing place to visit
    If you get a chance -do visit the Bloemencorso -which is being held this weekend-absolutely amazing-this is a flower parade between the cities of Haarlem and Leiden
    Best Wishes
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  14. A well deserved break, have a great time and look forward to seeing your photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. A trip to the Keukenhof at tulip time. For a tulip over that’s paradise. My tulips are doing fine; perhaps it’s time I replace a few varieties?
    I hope you had/are having a glorious time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my! Here's hoping you've had a fabulous tulip-filled time :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awaiting your return with anticipation!

    (I also had a friend who lived in Leiden, for years - never visited her at the right time. Rats.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you to every one for your good wishes! It was great. Blog report on its way!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are the best thing and the conversations they produce are the whole purpose of blogging for me. Do tell me what you think!

Popular posts from this blog

I love November

New house, new world, new garden

Making lined curtains