- Politicians posturing and turning any question into a way of blaming the other political party instead of entering into a real, unscripted, interesting dicussion .
- Political interviewers doing their own version of posturing, being aggressive and rude and not apparently appreciating that they are at risk of becoming the story not the question. I am fascinated by politics and follow it avidly and would no more not vote than run naked down the street, but you can tell that I have spent a lot of time shouting at the radio over the last few weeks. Will be quite a relief, and not just for me, when the election is over.
- Sexualised clothing for little girls. No, no, no. Just wrong. Leave them alone to be children.
- People who don't answer emails for a week or two. I suppose I should just accept that not everyone checks their emails and tries to respond every day but a lifetime of working where the expected response time was about half an hour has left me with no patience for being given an email address by someone who apparently doesn't really use email. Give my your phone number instead. Grump.
- Being the only woman in a roomful of men who all bond cheerily over football. Doesn't happen as often as it used to now, thankfully!
- Not getting enough sleep. I am hopeless without sleep. I have sometimes wondered if the main reason I found having small babies a bit of a struggle was that I don't manage very well on little sleep, but then, who does? It makes me foggy and forgetful and irritable and just plain cross.
- Big shopping centres, all that excess, all that consumerism, all those people shopping as if it were a religion. I hate everything about it: the cynical manipulativeness of the retailers, the gullibility of the punters, the idea that buying things will make you happy, the sheer wastefulness of a society which is constantly buying new things and throwing things away without regard for the effect of this on mother earth.
Tuesday, 4 May 2010
Seven things that make me grumpy
I have just read about seven things that make me grumpy on rosie scribble's blog It spoke to me. Perhaps I am having one of my grumpy old woman days. So, just so you can see that all is not sweetness and light up here all the time, here are my seven: