- I will make more time with friends and, if going away from home is a bit tricky just now, more invitations for people to come here. Mmm patchy results with this one. I have managed to get away and to spend some time with friends. For the very first time, a year has gone by in which I haven't seen one of my oldest friends although I am about to do something about that. I think I could resolve this one all over again!
- I will do something every day that is just for me: a bath, a glass of good wine, half an hour upstairs on the bed with a book. Tick!
- I will do something every day that is just for Ian. This is harder than it sounds. He is a great one for sorting everything out for himself and looking after other people all the time. Yes, well I said this was one would be hard and it is. Even when you try to do things for him he tends not to want you to. Maybe every day was a bit ambitious, perhaps once a month might just work!
- I will take the time every day to listen to my FIL, just to sit and chat for half an hour without trying to fill the time with jobs and chores. I am getting my ear in now, beginning to understand both the strong regional accent and his own idiolect which means that he can expect you to fill in missing words and translate phrases. Soon I may even always understand the meaning of "the old one, two", a phrase which slides around with, as far as I can tell, an entirely variable meaning, often tripping me up and leaving me grasping at empty air. I will slow down and, for some time every day, let him set the pace. Patchy again, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Oddly I suspect that if I did a bit more of number one, I could manage a bit more of this one! And this year is ending with the need to spend more time with my own mother and father as my father's health worsens and they live three hundred miles away. Tricky.
- I will buy and wear some clothes in gorgeous colours. I fancy a singing blue and green like the peacock feathers in the vase behind me. Did some of this but not nearly enough!
- I will go to yoga every week and become a truly bendy person. Went quite a bit, didn't stiffen up entirely, true bendiness remains an aspiration.
- I think I might join a choir. I think we might say that this one is not going to happen, not enough time, not high enough up the list.
- I think I might get a dog, maybe not right this minute though. Ah now this is a biggy and still hanging around a year on. I need to decide once and for all how much I want one. Ian is not keen. I pine. I'm not a piner and don't like myself for doing it. I need to make my mind up one way or the other.
- I will plant yet more flowers for butterflies and bees in the field around the fruit trees. Tick! Tick! Tick! Yes I did this one and can do even more. Yay!
- I will ensure that I see all the blogging friends I have been lucky enough to meet so far and also add some new ones to the "met in real life" tag. And I did this one too, both keeping up with the ones I had met and meeting VP and Patientgardener here and Beangenie at Karen's. Tick! Tick!
- I will paint my toenails, even though it is winter. Mmmm, they were painted but they aren't now...
2011 has not been an easy year in many ways so I think the big resolution for 2012 will be to
HAVE MORE FUN, by myself with books and gardening and some pampering (I feel a pedicure coming on), with Ian by walking and taking time out together, even having the odd holiday maybe, with my friends by arranging to meet up with both old and new (I feel a weekend with my oldest friend and a trip to London are both on the cards), with my family by ensuring that we all get together whenever we can both up and down and across the generations.
I am a classic Virgo type, big on duty and hard work.
This year I resolve to find as many occasions as possible for HAVING A BALL!!