Day 23 of the 100 day project

Day 23 did not go as I had planned.  The cold which was thinking about returning yesterday (and let's face it, it is only about a week since its predecessor went) decided that it would come marching back.  I had a go this morning at making soup and shaving my legs and behaving like someone who felt all right, only to have to admit by lunchtime that I didn't feel good at all.  So this afternoon was a write off but this morning, before it was a write off, I did one small gardening thing for the 100 day project.

We grow hundreds of daffodils up here.  Wales is a good place for daffodils.  There might even be thousands or a thousand or so, I am not sure.  There seems to be conflicting advice about whether or not to deadhead daffodils.  Some experts suggest that you increase the proliferation of daffodils if you do, some suggest that it makes little difference.  I tend to deadhead where it makes a big difference to the look of the part of the garden.  This morning I deadheaded the daffodils in the side garden.   This is one of the few parts of the garden which is small and enclosed and daffodils do not die prettily.

I had plans to do other things in the side garden yesterday but today I retreated back inside to drip into my handkerchief.

Bring on summer and sunshine and a clear chest.

Comments

  1. Hope you are feeling better soon!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and how great to hear from you! That's a lovely blast from the past. Hope things are well with you too!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I hope you're feeling better soon. My immune system has given me lots of signals these past six months or so that I need to be better at self-care. Gardens are good for that, right? (although perhaps not as good as sleep!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point. Gardens are good for self care if taken gently and that is sort of what I'm trying to do. It's surprisingly easy for the garden to become a pressure, a long to do list!

      Delete
  3. I deadhead mine, mostly because I can see them all from the kitchen window and, as you say, they do not die prettily. We let them die back on their own then, no bending or bunching. They are in the lawn, under some trees, but when we do mow, we do it on a high cut until the grass regains some colour. We've planted hundreds over the years, lots of different types, which come out in a long sequence, giving us flowers for a few months. I think they are wonderful, but, as you know, I'm Welsh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same in terms of the dying back. I deadhead quite a lot of the Tenby daffodils in the orchard too. Like you we try to have daffodils for as long as we can, from late February through to early May. I love them too! Can't have too many!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments are the best thing and the conversations they produce are the whole purpose of blogging for me. Do tell me what you think!

Popular posts from this blog

I love November

New house, new world, new garden

Making lined curtains