New place to live, first dose of vaccine

 So we achieved our move,  completing on the 15th February, and here we are in our rental property.  It has been strange partly by not seeming strange.  After fifteen years and a deep attachment to our old house I had thought it might be a real wrench to leave but no, the long slow build up seems to have produced something where it was finally a relief just to get on and do it, make the move, get ready for the next stage.  The week before we completed was the hardest with boxes everywhere and the job of cleaning to do at the old house in readiness for handing it over.  Now things are falling into place, the boxes are being emptied and moved out to the garage and the house is emerging into some sort of order.  I do miss our stunning views but there are things about living here that I like.


From the rental house is a short walk through the churchyard to the main street and the shops.  Today the sun shone and I took a detour right through the churchyard.


Snowdrops drift out from the wall and as I walk I can hear the birds beginning to ready themselves for spring.  I decide that while we are living here I will make a  real effort to get fit again having let my running slip away over the cold of winter and amidst the clamouring demands of boxes and packing.  In the last week I have run three times, well a mix of running and walking if the truth be told.  Nearly a year ago today I ran the Chester 10k, to my total astonishment and delight.  I could not even run 5k without walking a bit at the moment so that is my aim: to get back to the stage where 5k is routine and longer distances are possible.

I have had my first dose of the vaccine too, the Astrazeneca vaccine.  I am delighted to have had it and had no side effects.  Now I am simply longing for the whole world to open up.  It looks as though that will be a gradual process.  Boris Johnson will explain the "roadmap" plan to take England slowly out of lockdown in gradual stage, beginning with restarting schools on March 8th.  It looks as if the plan is for the whole process to take until the end of July with each stage being followed by a few weeks in which the impact of the release of restrictions is examined.  Here in Wales we are likely to be a little bahind that timetable although the first two years of primary school have reopened today for Welsh children.

I would forgo foreign travel and non essential shopping in exchange for being able to spend time again with our children and grandchildren.  Perhaps by the end of March that might be possible outside.  I hardly dare to think about it too much.  I have managed to remain reasonably calm and positive throughout the many months of restrictions mainly by focussing on what I can do each day.  If I lift my head from the immediate present and look forward I am too aware of the yearning to see people and the desire to plan.  I need to sit on it hard.  One day at a time.


Sunshine on daffodils.  One day at a time.

Comments

  1. When we moved a few years ago I remember feeling a sense of relief - the process is so stressful that by the end it becomes all consuming - the harder time was actually the decision to move at all. I wish you well - and hope you have a new and wonderful home and garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, totally agree. The decision to move and then the various protracted stages on the way produced far more stress than the final actual move. And now there is a sort of lightness. It's interesting!

      Delete
  2. I do hope you enjoy your time in your rental as your new place is built, and that the construction goes smoothly (ex-wife of an architect....).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we are expecting some bumpy patches along the way. Not sure I have ever heard of a building project without them! What I'm going is that the fact that we are not living in a caravan while looking after small children will ease the path!!

      Delete
  3. So glad it all went smoothly. The next move, into your new-build, shouldn't be anywhere near as stressful, just exciting. Looking forward to 'progress' photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm hoping that at least some of the sorting which was involved in this move from somewhere we had lived in for more than fifteen years will pay off in the next one!

      Delete
  4. Pleased to hear that you're settling well in your new, temporary, home. Exciting times ahead to be sure.
    Glad too that, like me, you've had your first dose of the vaccine though it seems you got off more lightly than I did! Nothing awful, just 24 hours of being below par - which seems to be a common experience. And so good to see some sunshine, buds and flowers coming through and to hear birds singing - positive signs of a better future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed Lynne. Every sign of spring seems even more vivid and important than usual and I always love spring. It is a glorious day here with a sky so blue it seems like the Mediterranean, although it is probably no more than 10 degrees. But there is warmth in the sun at last!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments are the best thing and the conversations they produce are the whole purpose of blogging for me. Do tell me what you think!

Popular posts from this blog

I love November

New house, new world, new garden

Making lined curtains